I am currently in the process of migrating all my different domains including thefreespeech.org from Dreamhost over to AWS. Why? I am currently studying for the AWS Certified Solutions Architect, and no amount of studies is going to be as beneficial as a hands-on, practical exercise as this. Also, to be very clear, I have had no issues with Dreamhost hosting - I have been with them for a few years now, and they have been nothing but fantastic.
So, whats my migration plan? Some of the tasks below have already been completed and I plan to write some posts on them in the very near future. But here’s the list:
- Migrate all my domains
Migrate the website - http://www.thefreespeech.org. I have been reading up on static websites for quite some time now, and I think its time that thefreespeech.org was turned into one. This is going to entail a few things:
- Install and Set up Hugo on my local machine
- Export the website from Wordpress to Hugo
- Setup git and a remote repository on Bitbucket
- Set up continuous integration (CI) on Wercker
- Configure AWS for hosting the static site
- Actual migration (Repointing DNS records)
- Set up email, which itself will involve:
- Setup an EC2 instance on AWS
- Set up email - install Postfix (SMTP) and Dovecot (POP, IMAP)
- Install webmail
- Optional - Since I am setting up an EC2 instance, I am even thinking of setting up OpenVPN here, so I can have my own VPN server instead of subscribing to a service like NordVPN.
As I said, I will write up a few different posts on how I went. Stay tuned.